Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dark Chocolate Craving

I would like you to meet my dream living room.


Ain't it lovely? Small, cozy, bright, simply gorgeous. I could go nuts.

However, this is far from reality.

When we bought our sectional a couple years ago (wow, time does fly!) I would drool over white and cream furniture. There's something so sleek and modern about it, yet welcoming. Perhaps too welcoming. This magazine spaces might work for adult-only homes, but not ours. I can perfectly picture our 9-year-old throwing herself into it, shoes on and all. What about when her friends come over? Let alone kids, what about having a small friend reunion? What about dust?! WAY too much stress for me.

So, instead of the cream color we went completely opposite and chose a very rich, dark chocolate faux leather sectional. I love it. It looks great, it's very low-maintenance and kid-friendly (love those words). It definitely works better for us.

Yet, I've been having a hard time making it feel cozy. For one thing, we're using borrowed, dark chocolate tables (both the coffee table and the side table are dark). So it all looks like a huge dark spot.  Not quite right. (Right, Micah? =)

Problem is, most magazines show gorgeous light colored living rooms (such as the one above). They're cool alright, but it's hard for me to translate that into my own space. I researched a little and I found great inspiring pics to share:

A great way to brighten up things is using throws and pillows on the sofa. I could really use a 2 level coffee table like that one.

This is quite an inspiration pic. Dark furniture on dark walls and still looks cozy. Once again, the bright orange pillow and flowers bring the space alive. I love this space. The bookshelves, the use of two tables instead of a large coffee table, the large mirror... sigh!

This is a different, classic look. The beautiful sofa stands out from the white layer. Interesting table there.

This is not quite my style, though it helps visualize the dark sofas with a dark element in the center.

Oooh, this I like! Ok, it's not dark chocolate, but it's dark alright. LOVE the grey/yellow combo! Once again, the little tables are a great alternative to the coffee table (I think those are already in my wish list). I spy a mirrored demi table in the corner!

A softer kinda grey, but still dark sofa. Colored accents all-around... Cute!

Last but not least, a lighter still darkish living room. The inspiration here to me is the combination of different elements in one room. The clear glass coffee table helps brighten things up and once again, the beautiful pillows and throw.

So yes, there's definitely inspiration for dark colored living rooms... which is your favorite?

{images: house beautiful and house to home}

2 comments:

Flory said...

Rocio, you lured me in with "chocolate". :)

Our house is in major need of some new furnishings. We've lived here for almost 8 years, so things are getting worn and old. I've pictured a leather sectional for our family room in red, but it has to be the right shade of red. Our sofas now are not even good for charity.

Oh, these pictures really make want to go out there and buy new furniture, but we have other things to take care of first, like renovating our bathroom, or adding another one.

Have a wonderful week!

Flory said...

Rocio, you lured me in with "chocolate". :)

Our house is in major need of some new furnishings. We've lived here for almost 8 years, so things are getting worn and old. I've pictured a leather sectional for our family room in red, but it has to be the right shade of red. Our sofas now are not even good for charity.

Oh, these pictures really make want to go out there and buy new furniture, but we have other things to take care of first, like renovating our bathroom, or adding another one.

Have a wonderful week!

LinkWithin